Thursday, 28 June 2012

Easy Bread and Butter Pudding

Is someone playing a trick on me!!!  Where did the last week go?!!  I wonder if the short days are making time disappear.

This photo was taken at a quarter past eight in the morning!
I had a wonderful girl's weekend in misty Daylesford.  I had good food, wine, company and really enjoyed looking around the town.  I didn't, however, see the sky until I was driving home!

We celebrated three birthdays this week and have a couple yet to go!  It's been busy.  Winter is starting to wear on me but every year just when I think I can't take much more cold.....


I spot these cheery flowers!  Jonquils and daffodils are among my favourite flowers.  Flowers of promise.  They tell me to hang on in there - spring is around the corner!

In the meantime, I was inspired by Christine at Slow Living Essentials when I saw her custard tart.  It looks yummy!  I will definitely be making it sometime this week.  However her tart reminded me of a dessert that I adore in winter so that is what I cooked tonight.


Easy Bread and Butter Pudding


I don't believe in making this dish any more complicated than it needs to be.  It is a simple, old fashioned dessert that uses up stale bread and eggs that we usually have on hand, as chook owners.  I don't even bother removing the crusts like most recipes suggest, because they crisp up nicely and taste great!

Eight slices of buttered bread (our was commercial white bread tonight)
4 eggs
3 cups of milk
A good 1/4 cup of castor sugar (I used raw)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
sultanas
nutmeg

Cut the slices of bread into two triangles and arrange in a baking dish.  In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla essence until frothy on top.  Pour over the bread and scatter sultanas over the top.  Sprinkle with nutmeg.  (You can use cinnamon but to me nutmeg is the only flavour for bread and butter pudding)

Place in a larger baking dish and pour enough boiling water into it to come halfway up the sides of the pudding.  Pop in the oven and bake at 160C or 325F for about 50 minutes.

It should be crispy on the top and creamily yummy underneath.




Buddy Boy gave me the giggle for the day.  He insisted on making his own lunch (which he does from time to time) but came home with half a sandwich uneaten.  When I quizzed him, he told me he doesn't like vegemite!  What's the bet it was a little thickly spread this morning!

Are you getting through winter okay?  Or is time escaping you too?!

5 comments:

Linn said...

I read Christine's custard tart recipe and made it for dessert tonight. I'd have to say it was the best custard tart I have eaten! I also love bread and butter pudding and yours looks delicious. I might make that tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe Linda.

Christine said...

I've been wondering the same thing about the short days stealing the time! No time to do anything, lately!!

Lovely b&b pudding, one of my favourite desserts. When I'm feeling blah, I make jam sandwiches and then add the eggy mix..sometimes even a few white chocolate pieces..yummy gooeyness to ease away the winter blues..

Buddy Boy always makes me smile, so sweet!

(Great to hear Linn's feedback too).

Busy mum of 3 said...

Do you know I have never made or indeed tasted a bread and butter pudding!

Thankyou for the inspiration, I feel one coming up this weekend...I might even get the kids to make it.

Greenthumb said...

I love reading your stories Linda. You are making many of us stop and think about the wy we do things and to remember to 'walk lightly on the earth'.

Linda said...

Hi Linn, I made Christine's tart last night and it was a disaster. Not the recipe - it was soooo yummy! I just kept doing stupid things which I may get around to posting about!

Christine? Jam sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and chocolate?! I don't know how you think of these ideas but maybe I should give it a shot. ;-)

Busy Mum, you have shocked me! I thought everyone had tasted B&B pudding but I suppose it is a very old fashioned dessert. Let me know what you think.

Well hello Greenthumb, What a lovely comment! Nice to hear from you.