Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Home Afresh

We've been away.  A family member lent us a fantastic caravan and Rosie and a friend of mine took turns feeding the animals to make it possible!


The children were amazingly well behaved - especially Belle who insisted on helping, even with the boring jobs!



We parked at a road side stop and a total stranger gave us oranges, grapefruit and mandarines off the back of his truck.  Look at my kids!  You'd think they'd never had fruit before!



The road side stop seemed as though it had been set up by permaculturalists.  It had native plants, long drop loos, water tanks and just look at the bins!  Aren't they great?!


We went on paddle steamers....


found toboggans in a park in a very rural town.......


 and saw some very heavy frost!



These lovely people (whom my children referred to as "The Lovely People") allowed me to take this photograph.  I was fascinated to see the extent that technology has infiltrated become a part of people's lives.  They are retirees on holiday and were all using their technology at the caravan park.

We travelled to Mildura and through South Australia to Adelaide before heading back to Victoria.  It was my first time in South Australia and I loved it.

But do you know what?  Holidays are amazing for perspective.  It was so good to come home and see our messy but productive home through fresh eyes!

Check out my rhubarb!  It's grown since we left.


I immediately set about weeding the garden and gave the weeds to the chooks to turn into compost for me.


Buddy Boy and Pumpkin were so glad to see their animals again........


and Belle went to work building a little bonfire under her Dad's supervision.  Every one was content, busy and happy all weekend.


Rosie is starting Uni this week and needs to live on her own because it's too far to travel.  She is really looking forward to setting up house for the first time and I had fun making these canisters for her.  I saved some coffee jars and filled the lids with some dried lavender and dried marigolds.  I plan to make some more soon.  I think dried citrus peel would look good.  I filled the empty jar with citrus cleaner (recipe here) and Rosie was delighted with her gift.

The friend that helped feed the animals had popped dinner in the fridge for us just before we got home, so we had time to chill and unpack.  I was amazed at her thoughtfulness!  Ahhhhhh......... life is good!

5 comments:

Linn said...

Welcome back Linda. Have missed reading your posts. Glad you had a great time on holidays. Nothing like a change of scene to lift your spirits and see our homes in a different light when we return.

Busy mum of 3 said...

I am so glad you are back. I have suprised myself at how much I have missed your posts. I didn't know you were on holidays, and thought you might have ditched the blogging, I was a bit out of sorts about that, but obviously you haven't (thank goodness).

Glad you had a good trip, how are the grey nomads and their computers!!! I hope they still take time to enjoy their surroundings and lifestyle instead of poking their head in a computer all day.

Linda said...

Thanks for your welcome guys! Yes Linn, I was getting a bit despondent about how little we seem to get done around here, so I was delighted to come home and find that I really love my place.

Busy Mum, I can't imagine drifting away from blogging. It's become an important part of my life. Yes those grey nomads seemed to be having a ball. They ended their days around a fire with lots of chatter. It was great to see!

Fiona from Arbordale Farm said...

I am so glad you had a nice break away it looks like the kids were having a fab time. Just like the others I missed your posts.

Linda said...

Hi Fiona, Lovely to hear from you! Yeah thanks, the kids had a ball! It's been hard to get back into the swing of things this week though. We are still in relaxed mode.